23.3.11

Today My Manager Tried to Set Me Up....

Yes, I was talking with my manager of nursing today about my shifts in the summer when she burst out:


Ooooh I have just the person that I have been dying for you to meet! 


I followed her as she whisked me away to meet this person, just praying that she clued in from my previous sentence containing the following combination of words, "My husband and I..." that I was, indeed, married.


Soon, I found myself face-to-face with a nurse, about my age, from Day Surgery. Relieved to be meeting a female, I listened to my manager run off about 


how similar you two are! I know how hard it is to meet new people and make new friends I really think you would hit it off!


My boss was grinning from ear to ear as she relayed all the similarities; both new from out-of-province, newly-weds, husbands with hopes to be dentists/doctors, both new to the floor, similar ages. The other girl giggled nervously saying:


I have heard so much about you, I feel like this is a blind date


Finally, after a couple minutes of introducing us and pointing out the similarities between the two of us, my manager gave one last plug:


  I'll give you two a couple more minutes to chat and I will leave it up to you two if you wanna switch numbers to meet up later on and left us with a satisfied momma-hen air...




The whole set-up situation made me sit back and realize how lucky Shawn and I have been to have built-in opportunity to meet fellow young marrieds through our ward. Even if we didn't have two of Shawn's cousins and their significant other out here, we would still have two opportunities to mingle and meet new people each week, something that I had taken for granted until I was talking to the "set-up" nurse and she explained how hard it has been for her and her husband to meet/make new friends. 


Although I might gripe and groan occasionally about having to go visiting teaching or going to another ward activity when all I wanna do is cuddle up on the couch with Shawn, how amazing is it that there are so many opportunities in our church to meet like-minded people... No matter where you go in the world, all you have to do is look online, find the nearest ward and you instantly feel have a shared connection with the people you meet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment