Game Changer

I was so sure that I would go until Friday June 15th that when I woke up in the early morning June 13th with sporadic contractions, I was convinced they were Braxton Hicks. I got up at 4 am, had a bath to help with the contractions and then went back to bed after only having two the whole hour I was in there. Shawn didn't really want to go to work but I was convince this was nothing so I sent him on his way and I tried to go back to bed.


By 6:30 am I started to suspect that this might be labor.

By 8 am I was pretty sure this was labor, but maybe just the beginning. I was having contractions every 3-8 minutes while trying to pack a hospital bag (did pretty good for not really paying attention due to contractions) so I had my sister-in-law drive me halfway to meet my

9:30 am I was at the hospital still not 100% sure I was in legit full  labor, so I told Shawn not to leave work until I knew. I just knew that I did not want to miss getting an epidural so I wanted to get checked out just in case. My doctor then showed up, checked me, said I was 4 cm dilated and then "POP"! He decided he might as well break my water since he was down there to get the ball rolling.
All righty then... time to call Shawn.

The whole next 5 hrs when by smoothly. I got an epidural right away, and Shawn and I just hung out till I was ready to push. May I just mention how much I loooove epidurals? Just like that the pain is gone and you are able to relax and wait to push. It did end up wearing off a bit but man it was still great.
Feeling great thanks to Mr. Epidural
The problem came when after 2 hrs of pushing, I hadn't felt the baby move at all. Turns out the lil turkey had his head tilted a great way to make it harder to get him out. I kept asking my nurse if he had moved much and she kept saying "a lil bit" with the expression on her face that let you know that he really hadn't moved that much at all. At 2.5 hrs my doctor offered to use forceps but they made me nervous so I opted for oxytocin instead but by 3 hrs I was so beat I was begging for the forceps. Dr Davey showed up 10 minutes later, did some magic with the forceps and after blacking out for a lil bit from the pain we had a beautiful bouncing baby boy with the BIGGEST hands and feet you've ever. The first two things I thought was: "Good he's breathing", "how many fingers and toes does he have, his hands are HUGE!". He was sooooo swollen at first, poor lil guy went through just as much as I did but bless Dr. Davey's heart, Brock did not have a mark on his face two hours later from the forceps.

3.25 hrs and one forcep delivery later, Brock's head still looked mighty fine

Big baby with a big head- 37 cm

Proud new daddy; he admitted later once Brock's swelling came down
that he thought he was funny looking at first!

I look rough, feel rough but man this kid is cute!

Grandma was chomping at the bit to meet him..

Yep, no restful visit for Aunt Chelsey!
She was working when we came to her floor...
She did the checks and initial baby bath.

My step-dad checking out his new grand-son

Grandparents take 2

Heston checking out his new cousin

First (rough) family photo

Dr. Davey: wouldn't trust any other Dr. to take forceps to my baby's head..


  1. Valena! I know you think you look rough, but you look great to me! Such an exciting adventure! And a beautiful new addition! I can't stop using exclamation marks! Love love love

  2. Of course you made labor look like a piece of cake ;)
    SO happy for you and your new little family! He is absolutely precious!! xo

  3. Oh! I am so glad we got to meet that little Brock! I was amazed at how much that little babe grew in even the two weeks I saw him. Love you three!